Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Story of Stuff

" Our enormously productive economy...demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfaction, our ego satisfaction, in consumption...we need things consumed, burned up, replaced and discarded at an ever accelerating rate"

My friend Anna posted this link on her blog and she wasn't kidding, it will change your perspective! Please try to watch the whole video, it's worth it. (About 20 min.)

Dan and I have have started to experience some of the benefits of "unplugging" over the past two years. At first it was from neccessity as he went back to school, but I think we'll keep it up after he has a "real job" again. It's a great feeling having more money and less stuff hanging around that I didn't need anyway. And now I see a bigger picture after watching the video.

Have always wondered about the people who make our stuff, where are they and do they like what they're doing? How huge is the system? Because there's a LOT of stuff everywhere. Let me know your thoughts after you watch it.

No comments: